AMERICAN KANG DUK WON KARATE
- Lie with your back flat on the floor, hands alongside your body, palms down and eyes closed.
- Inhale slowly to the count of 5 and exhale slowly to the count of 5. Do this 5 times. Breathe from the abdomen. When you inhale, your stomach is pushed outwards. When you exhale, you stomach collapses.
NOTE: During steps 3 through 11 above, insure that you keep breathing at a normal rate. You should not hold your breath.
- Tighten your toes and feet for 5 seconds. Then very slowly relax the toes and feet.
- Tighten all the muscles from the knee to the ankle for 5 seconds. Then very slowly relax these muscles.
- Tighten all the muscles in your upper legs for 5 seconds. Then very slowly relax these muscles.
- Tighten your stomach muscles for 5 seconds. Then very slowly relax these muscles.
- Tighten your lower back by tightening your buttocks for 5 seconds. Then very slowly relax these muscles.
- Tighten your upper back, chest, and shoulder muscles at the same time by squeezing in on the armpits for 5 seconds. Then very slowly relax the muscles.
- Now make a fist with both hands and tighten the muscles in the fingers, hands, forearms, and upper arms at the same time for 5 seconds. Then very slowly relax the muscles.
- Tighten your neck and face muscles for a count of 5 seconds. Then very slowly relax these muscles.
- Tighten every muscle in your entire body, at the same time, for 5 seconds. Then very slowly relax the entire body.
You should be completely relaxed at this stage.
- Concentrate on the point between both eyebrows and keep breathing at a normal rate. During this period of time you should attempt to keep a blank mind. This takes daily practice for about one month prior to advancing to the next phase.
Phase 2 - Awareness Procedure
The definition of Awareness is "having or showing realization, perception or knowledge." This phase is usually taught only to Black Belts and advanced Brown Belts.
First go through Phase 1 then:
- After you have completely relaxed, visualize a blank screen similar to a movie screen. You will have images pass before you. Let them pass of their own accord. When you finally hold a blank screen, you are ready to go to the next step.
- Visualize a long tunnel that is spinning slowly. The tunnel goes downward and you can see a pin-point of bright light at the bottom.
- Count very slowly from 5 to 1. By the time you reach 1 you will be at the bottom of the tunnel. As you near the bottom of the tunnel, the bright light gets larger and gives off a very comfortable warmth. The light is a source of mental and physical energy that gives you a sense of overall well being.
- When you are satisfied and want to return, all you have to do is count from 1 to 5 slowly, and you will be wide awake.
The more you practice this phase the better you will feel. Once you master this technique, you will find that many things in your life will change for the good. Your martial arts training will also improve.
"Relaxation" is an excerpt from American Kang Duk Won KARATE by Robert C. Lawlor and Frank A. Palumbo, Jr.
Return to the American Kang Duk Won Karate Homepage
Copyright © 1996-2007 American Kang Duk Won Karate